Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Remembering Andrew, my "muffin man" friend!

Four years ago today, Andrew went to be with the Lord

As the year draws to a close, I realise again how quickly time passes by and how life ticks away with every minute that passes. I also realised how, sometimes, we meet people for a few minutes who we will probably never meet again and that our attitude in those few minutes can make an impact.

Two Sunday's ago, on my way to our evening Church service, I witnessed an accident. A man crossing the road was hit by a car. I stayed at the scene since I had witnessed it and I stood there, watching as the man lay there, not moving for a good ten minutes, unconscious, wondering if he would even make it. You can't help but feel helpless because you know there is nothing you can do. We often wonder why we witness these things, especially when it's something horrible to see and it shakes you up, but I realise now how God helped me to stay calm on the outside and He even brought someone along side me just to encourage me. As I stood on the side of the road, a friend happened to be driving past, saw me and stopped. Her being there for a few minutes and the hug she gave me helped me cope a little more.
I watched how the accident affected the driver and his reaction, and how it had also affected a young man who had also witnessed it. It made me realise that some people live without hope! It's sad! I just hope that somehow, in the few minutes we talked, that I impacted that young man who was there.
My friend Andrew was killed four years ago today (15 December 2005). He was out cycling with his friends when he was hit
by a taxi, so witnessing this accident really hit home for me. I have been thinking about Andrew a lot since that Sunday. I don't think one can ever forget someone who impacted your life!

I don't know why God has brought a lot of things across my path this year. I've had a lot of questions and have really struggled, but I know in all things that God is in control. Everything that happens and everything I see is for a reason. Be it health, death, seeing God's beautiful creation while on holiday or witnessing a serious accident, God has a reason for me to be experiencing it.

As I rememb
er Andrew today, I can't help but remember our rides home from youth group. We would be sitting in the back of Harry and Caron's car and Andrew would usually start:
Andrew
: Do you know...the muffin man?
Jacky: The muffin man?
Andrew
: THE MUFFIN MAN!
Jacky: Yes
, I know the muffin man...who lives on Drewery Lane?
Andrew: Well she's married to the muffin man.
Jacky: The muffin man????
Andrew: The MUFFIN MAN!!!!!!
Jacky: She's married to the muffin man......

Shrek always brings a smile to my face as it reminds me of Andrew. He was truly a great friend!!

No comments: