Saturday, August 25, 2012

A city in the state of New York...


When I was young, I had this thing for New York City. As I grew older, it became more and more of a dream to go there. I honestly never thought I’d actually get there, but my friend Jeanne made it happen!
I was tired by the time we headed to NY – but I still enjoyed it and picked up energy from the vibe around NY….and picked up pace walking with Jeanne! J I can only hope she didn’t find me too slow as I paused to take pictures or too quiet as I absorbed this unbelievable reality.  It was something unbelievable to see and to get to walk around – sometimes I would think I was in a dream…like standing at the bottom of the Empire State…wow. Thankfully King Kong didn’t show up while we were there! We walked that place flat… …well close enough and we conquered the subway!! *high five* We had a slight detour the day we arrived, but after that we got the subway down to a tee…except for when they were working on a line and we landed up being detoured away from our destination….but then we caught a yellow taxi! We didn’t see everything but we saw a lot…I think one would need a month to see everything special in NYC.

We did a few walking tours, one day we did Chinatown and Historic Downtown and then another day we did Times Square with Broadway and Greenwich Village. We also did Battery Park, Washington Square Park, Broad Street, Wall Street, 9/11 memorial, Staten Island, Statue of Liberty, Ellis Island, United Nations, Brooklyn, Brooklyn Bridge, Central Park……just to name a few. J
Jeanne got us a nice place to stay in Harlem, within a decent walking distance to the subway as well as a bus stop for a bus ride to the airport.

I appreciate Jeanne taking time off work and doing this adventure with me…and thanks to Paul for letting her travel with this odd South African. It was a fantastic time and I’d honestly do it again.
 
Some pictures from NYC...







1 comment:

Jeanne said...

I didn't grow up with a desire to see New York, so it was a little bit of a surprise to enjoy it so much. I'm looking forward to going back, thank you for making me look at something so close with new eyes!